Re: objection to proposed change to "consensus"

grenville armitage wrote:

However, consider this case: you post "Should we move to using MS Word?"
and 5 minutes later some hardy soul posts "No". Over the next few minutes to hours some hundreds or thousands of list members' mail servers will receieve these two emails. Many of the human recipients will, in one quick glance, see
two positions staked out - one for MS Word, one against.

With which one does the silent majority agree?

Indeterminate, of course. This is why, as so many people have pointed out time & time again, if concensus is to be requested or claimed, propositions on this list
   a) MUST be kept simple, and
   b) MUST include a default.

What you gave us is an example of a "discussion", which can include more than one topic, including more than one possible answer. This should not be confused with, or used as justification for, a claim of concensus.

Eventually, we will all be exhausted by this interminal discussion, and someone (I think Brian Carpenter is the poor guy stuck with this job) will post a simple statement and ask if the statement has concensus. No multiple choice, no discussion, just statement. I hope it happens soon...

"The IETF should publish RFCs in the traditional text format, plus WordStar version 2.0 of 4/1/1987. Henceforth, all posters suggesting MS Word will be drug from their homes and stoned in the street."

People who agree will mumble "yeah" under their breath and otherwise ignore the post. People who disagree will reply on the list. After two weeks, someone will compare the size of the subscriber list to the number of negative replies, and we'll all start gathering rocks together.

--
Unable to locate coffee.
Operator halted.