Permitting PDF and Postscript (was: RE: Baby Steps (was RE: Alternative formats for IDs))

--On Thursday, 05 January, 2006 12:46 -0500 "Gray, Eric"
<Eric.Gray@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John,
>
> 	I believe - for the record - that Post-Script is also
> allowed.

It is indeed.  And it, as well as PDF, are allowed in RFCs (see
earlier note).

As others have noted, an ASCII form is still required.  I
consider that a feature and, for various worst cases,
futureproofing, but some others do not.

And, as yet others have noted, it would be wise for us to get
very specific about versioning and permitted feature-sets for
PDF.  It is arguably even more important to get specific about
versions and feature sets for PS although my own personal
opinion is that, given PDF, Postscript has about outlived its
usefulness as a separate posting format.  YMMD, of course, and
this thread on the IETF list is probably not the optimal way to
address that question in any event.

    john