RE: Alternative formats for IDs

>> If you do not know how to do that with Word, there is help to get.
>
> Yes, in RFC 3285.
>
> 3285 Using Microsoft Word to create Internet Drafts and RFCs. M.
>      Gahrns, T. Hain. May 2002. (Format: TXT=34556 bytes) (Status:
> INFORMATIONAL)
>
> [YJS] Yes of course we all have used that.
>
> However, unfortunately there are problems with that route
> and no-one is supporting it (as XML2RFC is supported).

True, this had not been a problem if the output from Word had
been consistent. Anyway, Joe Touch has been updating these tools
and you can find them at:
http://www.isi.edu/touch/tools/

> For example, when printing directly from Word (rather
> than first producing the ASCII and then printing)
> the margins are all wrong.

True, printing directly is a missing feature of the tools
provided by RFC 3285. Joe's version fixes this, so you should be
happy with his version also for that reason.

> Also, certain combinations of characters I use in ASCII art
> cause (for some unknown and undocumented reason)
> strange unprintable characters to appear in the ASCII version.

Probably this is because you have used characters not part of
7-bit ASCII. It is a good idea to always turn off the auto-correct
features of Word, otherwise you will probably get strange characters.

Rgds,
/L-E