Re: Troubles with UTF-8

I agree with everything Ned said, this is a non-problem.

On Dec 23, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Ned Freed wrote:

(Unicode
lacks a no-op, a meaningless octet, one that could be added or removed without
causing any change to the meaning of the text).

NBSP is used for this purpose.

I think actually U+FEFF ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE is appropriate in many situations. Yes, I know it's also a BOM.

The reason many of our standards documents refer to ISO 10646 is that at one time there was concern that Unicode wasn't sufficiently stable, and it was felt
that reference to the ISO document would offer some protection against
capricious change. I think in retrospect this concern has been shown to be unwarranted, and all things being equal I would prefer to see references to the more readily available Unicode materials. (Given the wide deployment of Unicode now there is effectively no chance of a major change along the lines of the
Hangul reshuffle between V1 and V2.)

Yes. It's intellectually satisfying that 10646 still exists, but for al practical purposes, Unicode is plenty stable enough, and widely accessible. -Tim