Re: The rights of email senders and IETF rough consensus

Folks,

    >     It may well have been responsible for the
    > great popularity of Ethernet and its followons. ... I don't understand
    > the suggestion that it was "shortsighted".
The thing that's true is that ARP contains basically zero security.
> I would also point out that ARP was thought-forward enough to support other

Well, this is a better sequence of notes than I had hoped for, given that it reflects exactly the line of meta-issues I meant to suggest.

My own summary:

ARP is simple and specific. It solves a particular problem -- albeit a very constrained one -- quite nicely. It has a specific bit of flexibility, but really only a small amount. The flexibility has been quite useful, but overall functionality of arp is pretty rigid.

It most certainly would have been possible to envision all sorts of more-general mechanisms. One might have killed the arp development effort, in favor of the more general effort.

Luckily, narrow, short-sighted design thinking carried the day.

We have developed a tendency in the IETF to fail to distinguish between "it won't work" and "it could/should work better". Worse, the latter tends to reflect idealism from those who are tasked neither with doing the work nor delivering the output to the market. So they tend to assert their views with great force but no balance against delay/benefit trade-offs.

"It won't work" must be a show-stopper. It is valid to assert it at any time, of course.

"It could/should work better" is always reasonable to express, almost never appropriate for that assertion to be the basis of stopping forward progress. During the actual design process, it is of course appropriate to try to recruit rough consensus for a superior design. But recruitment efforts are not the same as blocking efforts.

When a constituency comes to the IETF, trying to solve a problem, they represent a portion of the market that is motivated for near-term output.

What has become the norm in the IETF is to impose massive startup costs for the working group, massive commentary-documenting costs in the writing, and open-ended delay in trying to satisfy every demand of every person who expresses unhappiness with any aspect of the work, at any point in the process.

The IETF used to *facilitate* collaboration on timely specifications. One of the ways it achieved was to distinguish between technical failure and technical preference.

d/

--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking