Re: from the horse's mouth

Mr. Chair,

2005/10/29, Brian E Carpenter <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Eduardo Mendez wrote:
> > I understand why IETF fears local governments for their meetings.
>
> I simply do not understand this statement. The IETF has no
> concerns about governments, and we often have people in government
> service who attend our meetings.  They are as welcome as any other
> engineer.

The discussion is about chosing countries.
The proposition is that ITEF can discuss free.
There is a problem only if IETF fears some Governments.

> > What IETF discuss may hurt thir people, peace, culture.
>  > But I am sure IETF Member do not realize this?
>  > If they were told they would understand.
>
> What people do with technology may have good or bad effects.
> That is well understood by all technologists, I think.
> But this is not the place to discus the social impact
> of our technology.

What IETF decides, decides for the users.
Impact is after a decision.
Can result from technical choices. OK.
Can result from disguised political choices.
This should not be possible.
How to make sure?

> > Why not to invite local people free?
>
> Because our meetings are working meetings of engineers.
> Local people can contribute just like anybody else, but
> then they have to pay their fair share of our costs.

I did not pay for ICANN meetings.
If you want local people be interested do like ICANN.
Otherwise why to move around? Tourism?
IETF is technical.

> > Why not to coordinate with local ISOC Chapters?
>
> Local ISOC members are as welcome to attend the IETF
> as anyone else. To my knowledge, ISOC France organized
> an evening activity during the Paris IETF, for example.

For everyone!?

Many say they want to know
- the weather,
- the security,
- the governement,
- the rates,
- the visas,
- the liberty,
- the local network,
- a good hotel
- etc.

I am sure that ISOC could help.

> > IETF is to be part of the real world.
>
> I think it has been exactly that for almost 20 years.

This is not what I want to say.
I want to say: one is always better with local help and friends.
Good meeting in Vancouver.

Eduardo Mendez