Re: from the horse's mouth

> In message <43632D40.7090502@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Brian E Carpenter writes:
> >Eduardo Mendez wrote:

> >> What IETF discuss may hurt thir people, peace, culture.
> > > But I am sure IETF Member do not realize this?
> > > If they were told they would understand.
> >
> >What people do with technology may have good or bad effects.
> >That is well understood by all technologists, I think.
> >But this is not the place to discus the social impact
> >of our technology.
> >

> I don't think I agree with that statement.  In fact, I'm fairly sure I
> do not.

I certainly hope that neither you nor anyone else in the security area would
agree with it. The only way to get security right is to consider the broader
context of a particular technology, including the effects of its use. Failure
to consider such effects when designing security has to be one of the biggest
mistakes we make on a regular basis.

				Ned

I'm certain arguments can be made for non-security aspects of the technology we
produce - but security is the place where the point is glaringly obvious.