Re: On PR-actions, signatures and debate

Gray, Eric writes:

> I disagree with your statement: "Most people will resort
> to personal attacks very rapidly and readily once someone else
> disagrees with them."  At least in the current context.  I feel
> that this is an overly harsh charaterization of people generally
> and people in the current forum in particular.

It is one of the most consistent characteristics of all online
discussion fora.  I see it again and again, everywhere, including
here.  If a forum attracts people of unusually high intelligence or
has a more balanced ratio of men to women (instead of the usual
male-dominated pattern), the personal attacks might become much more
rare, but unfortunately very few cyberspace venues satisfy either of
those criteria.

> There is _nothing_ that rapidly descending to the level of
> personal attacks does to help resolve any of the probable causes
> for disagreement.

I agree.

> Consequently, I sincerely hope that most adult professionals would
> not do so.

Unfortunately, many "adult professionals" are just as prone to it as
schoolchildren.