Re: On PR-actions, signatures and debate

Nelson, David writes:

> I think that this is not so hard to distinguish as you suggest.

Then it should be straightforward to automate it in the form of a
robot that emotionlessly evaluates each post.

> There are two general cases: (a) overly insistent and (b) overly
> personal.

How much is "overly"?

> The overly insistent poster will almost always attempt to have the last
> word in any thread, repeats positions frequently on the premise that if
> you say something often enough it become true, and inserts "pet peeve"
> issues into otherwise unrelated threads.

How often is "almost always"?  How much is "frequently"?  How much is
"often enough"?

> The overly personal poster makes comments about other posters, for
> example making assertions about their lack of clear thinking, their
> failure to understand the issue, their unspoken motivations, their
> stubbornness, and so forth.

If everyone who did this were eliminated from a list, there might only
be three or four people left afterwards.  Most people will resort to
personal attacks very rapidly and readily once someone else disagrees
with them.

> While there are no standards, I think that case (a) can be usually be
> recognized by sheer volume of postings and case (b) is easily detected
> because the subject of argument ceases to be about the technical details
> of the protocol, and becomes about the other correspondents.

Does that count for long discussions of formal actions the only
purpose of which is to exclude someone from the list--discussions that
make no mention of any technical details of any protocol at all?