Re: a new DNS root for the world?

{sort-of IETF off-topic but we have RFC3675}

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 09:59 -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 11:58 AM -0400 10/3/05, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> >Wouldn't it at least make  sense to require that the .gprs
> >"pseudo-TLD" be reserved by IANA under Section 4 of RFC 2860
> >("technical work items" and
> >"assignments of domain names for technical uses"), with the proviso that
> >this TLD must not be resolved, except locally ?
>
> Absolutely not. There are already literally dozens (if not hundreds)
> of such local tlds, some of which have the same names for different
> purposes.

You don't want .sms, .wap, .wap2, .gprs2, .turbogprs ??? :)
There is already a .mobi coming up too, another useless domain.
http://www.icann.org/tlds/stld-apps-19mar04/mobi.htm
Will we also get .computer for computer manufacturers, .toy, for toys?
I don't see any reason why they could not have sticked their .mobi
under, something odd; like say: mobi.corp.com, aren't they doing the
mobile stuff in the first place? But the reasoning for this domain is
really great: stakeholders -> money.

http://www.domainbank.net/mobi/index.cfm also lists an excellent things:
"As many companies were beaten in the rush to acquire desired .com
domain names, the .mobi sTLD is a new channel to differentiate your
business from the sea of .coms and .nets and to protect your brand
name."

and I really wonder who is going to deliver the news for all the mobile
users:
"Further attributes of the .mobi sTLD include personal names (e.g.
User_name.name.mobi) and location-based services (e.g.
NewYork.news.mobi) utilizing the .mobi sTLD."

IMHO there should have been only:
 - cc-tld which each contain:
   - gov.cc - for goverment organisations (including military)
   - <name>.cc : for companies and others, first come, first serve
                 no products, no movies, only organisations/lastnames.
 - int for global organisations/companies

Indeed way less than what everybody else seem to want.
But unfortunately we got the mil/gov/net/com stuff as legacy, which sort
of breaks the hierarchy. New domains though are uncalled for IMHO.

DNS is there for name esolution, not for finding a company or a product.
hamburger.int is useless imho, as it is sold by company X, if they want
that in the dns then do it hierarchically: hamburger.foodcorp.int,
unless the shop is only there in one country: foodcorp.cc
If you want to find this hamburger, you will use a search engine, they
nicely index it for you, dns doesn't index anything in that way.

But apparently that is not how all the domain-selling cash cows are
thinking, they just see $$$....

Greets,
 Jeroen