RE: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

> Behalf Of John C Klensin

> Ultimately someone has to operate the keyboard that puts
> lines/ records into what ultimately becomes the root zone
> file.  And someone has to supervise that person/ entity.

This has to happen. But ultimately backbone carriers have to decide to
route IP packets in certain directions.

The 'root' is a consenusal construct.

> Now, for better or worse, that evaluation process,
> particularly for ccTLDs, has been the source of an immense
> amount of controversy.  Those who get most excited about the
> status quo don't acknowledge that ICANN is a legitimate,
> international, multi-stakeholder, private-sector organization
> but, instead,
> refer to it simply as "the US Government Contractor".   They
> point out that the US Government has asserted responsibility
> for, and control of, the root zone and that it clearly has
> the ability to overrule ICANN in determinations about root
> zone entries.

This is certainly true in theory. In practice any attempt to do this
would lead to the root being fractured. It would lead to a monumental
diplomatic incident.