Re: p2p dns (was: Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

I believe the system described in the cited paper does exactly the reverse of what's being discussed here. CHORD and its relatives provide an alternative way of serving the data, but the hierarchical structure of domain names remains the same. If I understand the intent of this thread, the desire is to create a P2P naming system, similar to a web of trust, that does not require a hierarchical naming system and the administrative machinery needed to maintain that naming system. That is, I thought the thrust of this thread is how to create an alternative to the IANA, not how to how to create an alternative to the root servers.

Steve

Steve Crocker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx