Re: New attempt to kill "whois"

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>> I believe Frank's concern is that he wants the ability to
>> refuse services to sites who have not published accurate
>> contact information through whois.

> Very bad idea, IMHO. But it's true that, if you refuse email
> from ".com" domains, you have much less spam :-)

You confused this with .biz ;-)  No, personally I don't need
this ability, maybe I would consider it as (least important)
factor in a scoring system.

No, I want a working address if abuse@ / abuse.net failed,
and a hint which steps I can skip for known "rfc-ignorants".
The whois data is the last resort.

For ICANN's gTLDs the WDPRS offers an adsitional step.

> The vast majority of the ccTLD in the world have no whois
> server

Not exactly.  107 have a working whois server as far as I
can judge it (excl. two with no contact data).  Add some
special cases (e.g. for UK and ZA it depends on the SLD).

> (check the "whois server" field in the IANA whois)

That's often obsolete / incomplete, see also:

http://lists.megacity.org/pipermail/rfci-discuss/2005-July/003568.html

BTW, privacy laws in the EU and elsewhere are one thing,
but there are also laws protecting customers, at least
"commercial" Web sites must offer contact data.  For a
very broad definition of "commercial", e.g. I don't have
a domain (=> no whois data) but "must" publish contact
data on an essentially private site.

No 2119 MUST, it's a legal "must", two lawyers have three
opinions, three lawyers have six opinions, etc. ;-)  But
DE is definitely a part of the EU.

                        Bye, Frank