RE: what is a threat analysis?

I have mixed feelings about IETF WGs doing threat analysis. On the one
hand, Internet security is A Big Deal and I agree with what Steve
Bellovin and Brian Carpenter and others have written concerning our need
to improve. Frankly, the current "status quo" is quite worrisome.

On the other hand, doing a viable Threat Analysis is a whole lot of
work. Those of us who are CISSP certified often find ourselves doing
Threat Analysis as a normal part of our job functions. However, a good
study often takes weeks or months. I am very skeptical that individuals
who are not security professionals will be able to do viable threat
analysis studies because so many of the key issues are not obvious to
our esteemed non-security brethren. To my mind, the author(s) will
receive value from doing such a study. However, only valid studies would
be useful to the community as a whole. Therefore, I fear that either the
security community will become even more overworked or else a whole lot
of not-very-helpful text will be produced or else non-security people
will become de facto security people. I'm hoping for the third result,
but I fear the first two.

--Eric