Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

Brian Rosen <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I notice that we have stopped being interested in running code.

   Some of us, alas, seem to have lost interest in running code.

   :^( :^( :^(

> I think that is to our community's detriment.

   I could not agree more!

   (Of course, Brian is almost as old as I am; perhaps the latest
generation _believes_ that rough consensus can overrule running code...)

> If two groups are arguing with one another, and one has implemented
> code and the other has not, I think we would give great weight to the
> running code.

   There was a time when we'd tell the group without running code,
"Come back when you've got some code running!" That was, IMHO, a better
time.

> Probably more importantly, I think we should be VERY suspicious of new,
> complex specifications before we have running code.  We are very
> clearly NOT doing this.  We are willing to publish a proposed standard
> for an entirely new protocol that has very significant complexity,
> where there are people openly skeptical that it will work at all,
> with nothing but some sketchy simulations and a (admittedly well
> reviewed) draft.

   Unfortunately, we seem to have reached a situation in which there
is perceived to be no alternative starting point. :^(

   Here's another hint of what Ted Hardie talked about in NEWTRK: that
we must deal with ideas which are specifications, not standards; and
that "Proposed Standard" doesn't fit both categories very well.

> We are routinely publishing complex protocols and significant
> changes/additions without even simulations.

   I have no problem "publishing" such things; but I wish we wouldn't
publish them as if they were complete standards.

> Our rules permit us to do such things.  We should rarely choose to.
> We don't know what we are getting into until we write code.  We don't
> know how hard it is to implement, we don't know what works and what
> doesn't.

   Actually, it's worse than that: often we don't know whether things
will work in practice until we have a year's experience of actual use.

> I wonder if we should change our bias towards bestowing Experimental
> status on drafts that ask to be published as RFCs without running code.

   I don't think there's much hope of changing the mindset that says
"Experimental" means "Don't use this!".

   But I believe we'd do well to establish a category for specifications
which may or may not be ready for large-scale trials, but do not qualify
for stable standards status.

   (I'll be happy to discuss this on NEWTRK, BTW, if anyone's interested.)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>