Re: Port numbers and IPv6(was: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt)

Thus spake "Stephen Kent" <kent@xxxxxxx>
Boy are you in for a shock when you try to connect to an ethernet with
802.1x.

I have yet to do so. I do have the facility on my Mac, but I've never had to turn it on.

You need to get out more.

Authentication is being built into the NIC cards. At some point in the
future it will not be possible for any device to connect to an Intranet
without first authenticating itself.

It could happen, but then too it might not.

It's already happening. There is a large (and growing) number of corporate networks where 802.1x is mandatory -- if you don't do it, you simply can't connect. I've also run into a fair number that require registering MAC addresses (default is to deny or sandbox) due to vendors who don't yet do 802.1x.

End-to-end is a great goal, but it doesn't reflect the real world today. Not that it's an excuse to _require_ middleware in protocols, but we need to design with the knowledge that they _may_ exist.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS --Isaac Asimov