Re: Port numbers and IPv6

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I'm saying that one source system can generate more than 64K IMAP4 sessions. These are systems running various sorts of proxies, so they are in effect hosting many clients at once.

True, but if we are running IPv6 then surely the solution to this
problem would be to simply request some number of additional IP address
allocations via DHCP?

This is already done in the IPv4 world, it can be done in the IPv6
world.

More than that: the fact that the interface ID namespace in IPv6 is large
means that virtual IP addresses are available more or less on demand.
I think this is something we really haven't started to exploit yet.

   Brian