Re: A proposed experiment in narrative minutes of IESG meetings

Marshall Eubanks wrote (talking about recording IESG meetings):

My experience is that recordings tend to shut some people up...

Jumping in with both feet here:

I have never been to an IETF or IESG meeting, but I have seen countless examples of this. Marshall is correct. On the other hand, I have found it to be a pretty firm rule that the things that don't get said are things that shouldn't have been said in the first place. In other words, the speakers at these meetings are _already_ aware that they are publicly speaking and making decisions as representatives of a group. If someone in such a position is only willing to say something if he (she) knows he'll never get called on his words, then his words don't have much value anyway.

(I spent 20 years in the military. The most direct way to find out if a superior will admit later having given a particular order, is to ask for it in writing with signature. You are bluntly telling him -in front of all whithin hearing- that you don't trust him to take responsibility if there's no evidence. If the superior refuses, then you -and everyone in hearing- know you were right to challenge him; he'll claim Alzheimer's later.)

Directed towards the IESG:
Recording meetings, and publishing those recordings, may be a hassle, but it answers all questions about the integrity of the decision-making process. There may still be questions about knowledge and wisdom, but you put to rest all questions about integrity. Refusing to record (for whatever reason*), after having been asked (for whatever reason) by the people you represent, says something rather different.

<sarcasm>
* Perhaps the disk space required is too expensive?
</sarcasm>

> ...Plus, if they exist, they are subject to subpoena.

I don't understand this comment. How is this bad? Again, these are our public representatives, chosen for their knowledge, experience, and integrity. How can the possibility of being held to their words possibly be bad?