RE: Question about Obsoleted vs. Historic

Ted,

> I've assumed that it was to tell you it was at Draft Standard when the document
> that replaced it was issued.  That way you can tell whether the new doc is
> a recycle-in-grade, an update to get something to the next step, or a downgrade.
> The real meat of the data here, though, is that you should look at 3912 if
> you want the current spec.  Any other data about an obsolete spec is for
> historical interest only.  If I'm right, that could be made clearer (by saying
> "Status when active:" or some such), but that doesn't really change meat of the
> information.

I'd strongly suggest some tag to indicate that its no longer active. In many cases,
a Standard is marked Obsolete because it has been updated for some reason; often
times because of some critical bug or other issues.  I don't think the IETF
wants to recommend an obsolete standard as something folks should go and implement.

John