RE: Question about Obsoleted vs. Historic

John,

The way I understand it, an RFC is only historic(al) if the technology it
defines is no longer in use.

An obsolete RFC means the technology is still being used, but some part of
the specification (obsolete RFC) has been updated.  An obsolete RFC can
still be a standard as the RFC that obsoletes it may not change the protocol
at all.  One example of this is RFC 3912 which is the RFC that obsoletes
your example (RFC 954) - read 3192's abstract for more detail.

This is of course only my understanding.

Best regards,

Nick Staff