S stands for Steering [Re: Should the IESG rule or not?]

Dave,

I'm supposed to be on vacation so this will be brief, but I don't think
that your assertion about what "the community" has said is backed up
by postings from a sufficient number of people to be a community view.
Most people in the community haven't posted one way or the other. I
haven't counted, but in the recent discussions about the hop by hop
option, I've seen a number of messages agreeing with the IESG's
decision, contrasted with a large number of critical postings from just
a few people.

As I said in the plenary in Minneapolis, my goal is for the IESG to be
able to *steer*. Not to rule. Steering means finding the narrow line
between too far to the left and too far to the right. It also means
being decisive, and it means listening to the community as a whole,
not just to individuals who post a lot of mail.

We'll discuss this in plenary at the next IETF.

   Brian

Dave Crocker wrote:

 > The community believes that the IESG has management

responsibility for the timeliness ande appropriateness of the output
of the IETF.

Sam,

I think you have identified the crux of a very serious disconnect.

Wherever did you obtain the view that the community delegated this responsibility (and authority) to the IESG?

Over the last 3-4 years, the community has provided extensive and sustained expression of a desire to have the IESG assert LESS "responsibility" for the work that is done and to have the IESG serve as a choke point less.

How is it that the IESG has completely missed this feedback?

Initiatives come from the community, and the real work of the IETF is done by working groups.

The job of the IESG is to facilitate those initiatives and that work and to assess community rough consensus about the work.

The IESG can mentor working groups, so that they are more timely and produce better quality output. It also can impede timeliness and progress, such as by asserting late-stage vetos by virtue of introducing new and whimiscal requirements.

Certainly it is essential to resolve this extreme disparity about the IESG's job.