Re: Act now: Re: IETF 63, visa information

At 14:14 27/06/2005, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Hopefully the following information about getting Schengen visa in UK would be useful to others:

Some information here about "Schengen visa". Schengen is a small city in Luxembourg where was signed a convention creating the "Schengen space". This is NOT a EU convention: all the European countries are not members of it, and non-European countries can join the Schengen Space (as Iceland and Norway do. Mr. Alvestrand will learn this way his own country is not so poor a country as he think). Switzerland just did.

This works the following way (inquire for confirmation and details to your nearest Consulate of a Schengen State). The Shengen site is: http://www.eurovisa.info/

- the participant States exchange administrative information on the Visa they deliver (the convention is mainly a common database) - they waive the need of a national Visa for people coming from a Schengen country. The - they will a Visa for a person who has been refused by another country (hence the necessary delay)
- the Visa must be asked to the State of the _main_ destination of travel.

The application form is under: http://www.eurovisa.info/Forms/pdf/SchengenVisaApplicaion_En.pdf . In applying for a French Visa you will get it probably more simply (they can look and certify your documents, check problems with you, etc.). This is what they will enter in the database.

For the IETF meeting, you cannot use a letter of France Telecom and apply to an other country consulate. However if you have a mixed travel (for example visiting familly in Belgium, with an address and possibly a letter, and poping in Paris for the IETF, you can apply for a Belgium Visa).

This is a full confirmation that European countries and France (who initiated the Schengen convention with Benelux countries) are not motivated in their Visa policy as described by Mr. Alvestrand (such a proposition is even, with the support of a quite universal consensus, a serious legal offense against our integration policy and social peace). For example, Mr. Alvestrand, as a Norwegian citizen, can freely come in Paris as if he was going to Bergen or Stavenger. However some are very concerned by the nice Nowegian students invasion we a have every summer.

Don't worry you are welcome ! I suppose everyone will work hard to address the possible problems you could meet. There is no magic :-), only equal efficiency for all, who ever you are. The only "magic" is, if you have a problem, not to try to hide it: explain it and show your good faith. If it is something that could be done for others, I am prety sure it will be done for you.

jfc

I've recently applies for Schengen visa to attend IETF in Paris. The invitation letter from France Telecom worked like magic. The only issue with getting visa is how much in advance this has to be done. French Consulate in London uses web booking system (alternatively people can phone, paying £1 a minute), which can only book visa appointments 4-5 weeks in advance. The waiting time in summer can be even worse, but check yourselves.

Getting a letter of invitation was very straightforward once I've paid the IETF attendance fee. I've got my letter by fax and I also got it in mail shortly after.

Regards,

Alexey Melnikov
Isode Mbox Message Store developer

Isode Limited, http://www.isode.com