Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

Thomas Narten <narten@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>| The IESG declines Dr. Roberts's request for a hop-by-hop option for
>>| QOS purposes.
>
> Let me add my perspective, even though I wasn't involved in the IESG
> decision at all.
>
> RFC 2780 says:
>
> > 5.5 IPv6 Hop-by-Hop and Destination Option Fields
> >
> >    Values for the IPv6 Hop-by-Hop Options and Destination Options fields
> >    are allocated using an IESG Approval, IETF Consensus or Standards
> >    Action processes.
>
> (where those terms are defined in RFC2434.)
>
> The clear intention of the above is that assignments for HBH code
> points be conditioned on IETF review (and approval). That is, a
> document that gets published as an Internet Draft, gets reviewed, and
> then pops out as an RFC.

   Clear to current IESG members, perhaps; clear to the general public???

> The "IESG Approval" case is a bit of an escape clause, allowing for
> unusual/exceptional situations where getting an RFC published isn't
> appropriate or would take too long. So I view that not as a "normal"
> way of getting a code point, but one where there are "extenuating
> circumstances". The clear intention is the way to get a HBH code point
> is to publish an Internet Draft and bring it to the IETF for proper
> review.

   I would be happy to see it done that way.

   But I must have missed where in the IESG email it was suggested to
Dr. Roberts that he proceed this way.

> That was never done for this document. AFAIK, this document has never
> been discussed in the IPv6 WG, for instance.  (Indeed, there is no
> draft for it, AFAIK.)

   It is this sort of attitude -- that people with ideas are supposed to
"just know" the procedures which IESG members would like them to follow --
which leads to loss of respect for the IESG (and, IMHO, ends up making
their job more difficult).

   How difficult would it have been to have a secretary-level support
person explain this procedure to Dr. Roberts?

   Instead, we have our "leaders" publicly criticizing the idea, when the
problem is the process which wasn't followed.

> The right thing to do is to have this document reviewed proper in the
> IETF and then let the IETF decide what it wants to do with it.

   Then why don't we do that?

> IMO, it would have been completely inappropriate for the IESG to have
> approved this code point assignment. Indeed, had they done so, I am
> certain that a large number of folk would have immediately screamed
> that the IESG had no right to do so (i.e., had exceed its authority,
> etc.), and that it should have consulted with the IETF instead.

   Perhaps folks just don't know who Dr. Roberts is?

   Hint: he's the fellow who first published the ARPAnet idea, and
convinced the Department of Defense to fund Bob Kahn's work.

   Even if you believe him a senile old fool (which he is NOT), he
deserves better than this.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>