what is a wg chair's job was: Simplistic metrics Re: WG management

Harald,

Your mail prompted me to write a mail I have been contemplating (but I'm
actually sending this via my phone, so I'm keeping this brief).

What is a wg chairs job? I can think of several tasks:
 1) cheerleader (go wg, go!)
 2) mediator (Mr. x, you need a time-out!)
 3) task manager (draft-foobar is 1.8 weeks late.)
 4) key contributor (I think the header field should be 2.1 bytes long.)
 5) big-picture type (the internet needs a protocols for signaling
morality.)

With the above tasks, chairs can be active or more reactive, sometimes
depending upon the situation.

What I thinks is needed, however, is that the chair and the ad cooperate
well and have a good understanding of how things are working.  I also think
that while we can blame the IESG or the wg chair, but I think a key point
we've often overlooked is the  ad-chair relationship.  If a chair knows
what the ad reaction will be when sending a draft to the IESG, then this
may help avoid the late suprise, Also, if an ad knows what is happening
(roughly) in a wg, then they can help provide some insight into ho to get
things unstuck.

I thinks this calls for the ads and chairs to be in touch and discussing
things frequently, even chair reviews by the IESGs (say once a year) and
maybe even joint wg status reviews.

John L.