Re: E-mail address limitations

While I'm not sure I can deliver on "easy to understand", RFC 2822 section 3.4.1 is the best official spec we have on what an email address as used in Internet mail looks like.

Note that not everything that has an @ in the middle and a domain to the right is an email address; it might, for instance, be a "Network Access Identifier" defined in RFC 2486.

           Harald