Re: WG management

Hi, Henning,

This was the most thought-provoking of your recent posts for me, so I spent a little time thinking before trying to contribute to the thread...

You have served us well by pointing these problems out. The meta-issue for me is, of course, how we move forward on any of these problems.

Spencer

I suspect each regular IETF participant knows WGs that are well-led and others that could stand improvement. WG chairs are crucial in ensuring progress, but there doesn't seem to be any real, transparent evaluation of their efforts. Some possibilities:

(1) It is hard to "fire" WG chairs - they are often friends and colleagues. Unfortunately, many stay on when their job responsibilities have changed and they can no longer dedicate the necessary time.

Solution: Institute WG chair term limits of (say) one or two years. That way, there is an expectation of change and the possibility for more people to prove themselves. With two chairs, staggering terms ensures continuity.

This is actually several conflated topics -

- working group chair selection
- working group chair term limits
- working group chair accountability

all of which matter, and all of which could probably be improved.

My thoughts are:

- if we were asking for (periodic re-)commitments from working group chairs, would we still be asking for term limits?

- we are all also aware of people in leadership roles who continue to commit and continue to miss commitments. How long does it actually take to figure out that a WG chair "can no longer dedicate the necessary time?"

- every working group is different, and every {1,2,3} set of of WG chairs is different. We can give guidance on WG chair selection, but hard boundaries are probably harder - it's easy to say "at least one WG chair must be experienced", but how much experience is enough, etc. It does not help that some of the goals are conflicting (developing new chairs vs. chair continuity). Would a BCP on WG chair selection (and reselection, if we thought of WG chair services as terms) be helpful, or just process silliness?

(2) Some chairs are primarily active during the 3-week period prior to the IETF meeting and moderate the meeting. They should consider themselves project/product managers, not primarily as meeting moderators. WG chair training needs to involve basic project management training or WG selection should favor individuals that have demonstrated their ability to deliver projects and products and to manage people in doing so. If necessary, those with mostly technical interests can serve on directorates.

Two related problems here, as you pointed out in another posting - when the WG is only active for six weeks per year, and when the WG chair is only active for nine weeks per year. I don't see how we can focus on this with our current milestone tracking ("no, really, we'll finish that draft by the NEXT meeting, this time for sure"), so your comments in the "front-end delays" thread apply here as well.

(3) All WGs should have a WG secretary as a "junior chair", keeping track of deadlines, LC comments and the like. WG secretaries need to be listed on the WG web page. The expectation is that a good WG secretary will be promoted to chair, thus providing an incentive. Some WGs do this today, but it seems rare. (I don't think any are listed on WG pages.)

Henning

It is irritating that our process explicitly allows for WG secretaries, but almost no WGs use them. Perhaps if people contacted WG chairs and volunteered, instead of waiting for WG chairs to wake up and stop trying to take their own minutes, etc?