Re: Last Call: 'Deprecation of "ip6.int"' to BCP

At 9:30 -0700 6/3/05, Bill Manning wrote:
this is a next step in removing support for 6 years of legacy
code in endsystems.  given that some folks will not upgrade
without incentive, this document provides RIRs and others
with justification for terminating service for this legacy code.

i would much prefer carrots instead of sticks to motivate folks
but if sticks are all you get, then so be it.  Geoff has done a
good job here - although this will not make ip6.int go away.

Re: carrots and sticks vs. sticks alone:

I think sparing the stick is sometimes coddling and not prudent operational practice.

The victims of this change, if I guess correctly, are users of cutting-edge software (also know as early adopters) that have not kept up their end of the bargain. Meaning that they have not kept up to date with the technology they have been helping produce. If that's the case, a stick is appropriate.

The carrots should go to the developers and purveyors of the software that still look up in ip6.int, to lead them to drop that code segment. Now that there is a 3ffe space in ip6.arpa, there's no reason not to drop the code. (What if the data in ip6.int and ip6.arpa differs for an address?)

How can the Internet ever progress technically if we can't retire dead end technologies, reclaim experimental allocations, and prune back bad ideas? If we can't, we will act conservatively when it comes to experimenting or pay a huge expense in operating a poorly architected system. How many times have we been afraid to let loose a technology because of what it might become? Or release a document that isn't fully thought through?

NeuStar

If you knew what I was thinking, you'd understand what I was saying.