Re: Uneccesary slowness.

Brian E Carpenter <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Dave Crocker wrote:
> > The only way to make sure deliveries of product -- in this case, IETF
> > documents -- are timely is to decide when they are needed by and set firm
> > deadlines.  The IETF currently does not do that.  Instead, we leave everything
> > open-ended.

> I'm very curious how one can set rigid deadlines and simultaneously
> require open debate to converge to a rough consensus before those
> deadlines.

One can't. That is what (at least some people) don't seem willing to
admit. If you want a quality document (and producing
readable/implementable documents is a key IETF deliverable), there is
no substitute for the review/iterate cycle I mentioned in an earlier
message.

Any attempt to eliminate or otherwise cut short that cycle will lead
to a loss in quality. While we can (and should) debate about the
proper balance between quality and timeliness, focusing only on
timeliness risks undermining a core IETF strength.

That doesn't mean there is no hope, however. What we should
collectively be working on is making the review/iterate cycle work
more efficiently and with fewer "dead time" delays, i.e., work hard on
eliminating "dead time" where the "token holders" of a document
(whether reviewers, editors or someone else) are not actually
delivering on their part in a reasonable amount of time.

Thomas