Re: Uneccesary slowness.

Thomas,

>  1) produce a document.
>  2) get a small number of quality reviews.
>  3) revise in response to those reviews
>  4) ensure that reviewers in step 2 are satisfied by the revision.
>  5) Repeat steps 1-3 with a _different_ set of reviewers.
>  6) Repeat step 5 until it becomes clear that the reviewers are finding
>  only minor editorial issues.
>
>  Observations:
>
>  1) You can't hurry the above, e.g., by imposing artificial deadlines,
>  or by saying "no objections during LC, therefor ready to go". You
>  have to have the reviews, and you have to iterate.

The IETF is supposed to produce a product that has market relevance.

It has to be useful to a sufficient number of vendors and operators within
a window of opportunity.  Windows of opportunity close.

Can you cite any successful company that produces products in a dynamic
market, according to the model you describe above?

I can't.

The model you describe fits my own sense of research efforts, not product
development.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker