Re: Complaining about ADs to Nomcom (Re: Voting (again))

On May 9, 2005, at 8:09 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

I'm going to ask this year's Nomcom chair to see if this year's candidates can answer the question "would you have run if your name had been made public?"

Brian

Brian et al., Here are some data points for folks to consider. Thanks to all those (a surprisingly large amount in two days!) that replied to my query.

-------------------------
Question asked to all 2004/05 IESG & IAB "willing nominees":

Would you have accepted nomination if the list of "willing
nominees" was made public:  YES or NO?

Response results:
---
IESG Nominees:
Total Responses: 83% of IESG Nominees
YES: 79.4%
NO: 20.6%
---
IAB Nominees:
Total Responses: 86.3% of IAB Nominees
YES: 86.4%
NO: 13.6%
-------------------------

I didn't include any additional comments several folks expressed, as
many of them have already been discussed here.  I'm certain that
if I posed slightly different variations of this question (for example,
"What if the list were padded w/ringers?" or the like) responses
would have been different.

One interesting (and perhaps rather intuitive) observation that's not
entirely obvious from the numbers above is that several folks were
OK with their names being listed as "willing nominees" for only a
subset of the positions which they'd been nominated (e.g., OK with
IAB nomination being public, but not IETF chair or IESG nomination
being public).

Given the time I've spent with the NomCom over the last year as
chair, (and my previous voting member term a couple years ago), I
can say for sure that making the lists public would certainly be
interesting and useful from the perspective of collecting feedback on
nominees from the community.  However, I also understand why many
folks are opposed to making the list of "willing nominees" public.

-danny