Re: text suggested by ADs

Keith Moore wrote:
>> Let me suggest that the rules be quite simple:
>>
>> 1. A Discuss may be asserted only when it pertains to a normative
>> concern that
>> involves the viability of the specification.
>
> not reasonable.  even merely informative text can cause interoperability
> problems if it is wrong or misleading.

Informative text that leads to such problems is incorrectly classified;
it must be normative if it causes interoperability problems.

>> 2. The AD raising the Discuss must post the details of their concern
>> to the
>> mailing list targeted to that specification and must provide clear
>> direction
>> as to how to cure the problem.  Failing the ability to provide the detail
>> about how to fix the specification, the AD must engage in a dialogue
>> that has
>> the goal of specifying that detail.
>
> not reasonable.  it's fine for an AD to provide suggestions as to how to
> resolve an issue, but it's not the AD's job to actually resolve issues
> that need to be sorted out at length either within the WG or between
> that WG and other parties.

An AD can't merely raise an issue without specifying the criteria by
which the issue can be resolved. Being able to cause a problem or
roadblock without being required to state the conditions to remove it is
a recipe for abuse.

>> In order to deal with the issue of a pocket veto, whereby the AD is
>> intractable but maintains the veto, there needs to be a mechanism to
>> force
>> review of the Discuss, either to assert that, indeed, it involves a valid
>> showstopper (failure) of the specification or that it can be ignored.
>
> such a mechanism already exists.

Right now the onus is on the author to get around such a roadblock; the
onus ought to be on the AD to justify it first.

Joe