Re: Voting (again)

 > > Start giving IESG real rough consensus (rather than consensus by
> > exclusion and/or exhaustion) and real running code (or even
> > better, convincing analysis that the protocol will work well in the
> > wild), and they won't feel the need to rule by edict.  IESG appears to
> > rule by edict because WGs demand that IESG provide them with very
> > concrete feedback. Simply saying "you failed to provide security" or
> > "you failed to address the concerns of this other group that you'll
> > harm their interoperability" doesn't work - either the WG will balk or
> > they'll sit on the document for months not being willing to fix the
> > problems.
>
> All true.  This is unfortunate.
>
> > So ADs try to come up with good technical solutions in order
> > to get closure.
>
> But _this_ is the problem.  The AD's job should be to review and manage,
> not to personally try to find or design the missing pieces.  This task
> could and should be offloaded to a separate pool of volunteers.

No, it's a symptom.  In the current environment, often the best thing
an AD can do is to come up with the solution.  Of course the AD can
ask volunteers to help if he/she can find people that can bring closure
to the effort in a short time (and this does sometimes happen when
the AD determines that a particular kind of expertise is needed).
But the AD is already in the loop and knows what the constraints
are; the volunteers typically will not - unless you somehow find a way
to cultivate a new group of IETF participants with broad expertise.

We shouldn't blame the ADs for doing what (usually) works best in their
situation; instead we should find ways for WGs to produce better
documents so the ADs don't have to do that.