Re: Voting (again)

However, I'm not entirely convinced that the unrestricted veto really exists. Before I can think about solutions to this problem, I need to reexamine the process and convince myself that it really is a problem.

A DISCUSS isn't a veto. I've seen numerous cases even in my short experience as an AD of DISCUSSes leading to, er, discussion and a new draft (or edits) that solves enough of the issues that the AD removes their DISCUSS. I don't think I've seen any new DISCUSSes that I would categorize as frivolous or individualistic.

What we do have is a long tail on the distribution of the dwell time of
DISCUSSes. I haven't had a chance to analyze the root causes of the very
old DISCUSSes.

   Brian