Re: Stepping down as IETF chair in March - & - RE: A personal take on WG's priorities..

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx writes:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:38:21 PST, Tony Hain said:
>
>> all space currently considered lost. Given that IANA allocated 9 /8's over a
>> 6 month period this year, coupled with the fact that only 78 /8's remain in
>> the useful part of the pool (ie: 52 month burn out),
>
> They said that just before CIDR happened, too.

We are already out of addresses. I cannot easily connect from my
laptop in my apartment (behind a NAT) with a friend's laptop in his
apartment (because it is also behind a NAT). This makes quickly
transferring pictures or documents from my machine to a friend's
machine a pain in the neck.

We ran out of addresses for practical purposes years ago. Anyone who
is running a NAT is doing so because it was easier to do that than to
try to get address space.

Perry