RE: isoc's skills

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:11:32 -0500, Pete Resnick wrote:
>  Let me repeat: ISOC is not the contractor.
>
>  ISOC, in scenario O, will hire the contractors to support the
>  IETF (according to IETF specifications). The structures we
>  desire in ISOC to do the hiring and (more importantly)
>  facilitate communication of those specifications between the
>  IETF and ISOC are laid out in scenario O.

Glad to see the term crystalized some perspective.

However...

The IETF is choosing ISOC to do a job.  The IETF is specifying
the job.  If the IETF does not like the job that ISOC is doing,
the IETF will get someone else to do it.

And you think that isn't called "contractor"?

What label would you use?  And how does it describe something
different from contracting?

And, by the way, yes those other folks that will be hired are
also contractors, though they contract for different work.

And while it well might be that some other label works better,
the fact reasonable, diligent people might think that the label
"contractor" is nonsense is a good indication of just how poorly
specified the basics are.

But all this does lead to the thought that a basic (inter-)
organizational chart would be helpful, showing who reports to
whom in terms of giving direction and making hire/fire decisions.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:25:56 -0400, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
>  In Scenario O, ISOC would do exactly the same "job" for the
>  IETF administrative process that it currently does for the
>  IAB, the RFC Editor, etc.  ISOC would provide an
>  organizational home and some accounting and fiscal support,
>  but ISOC is not expected to determine the IETF's
>  administrative needs and/or choose contractors or partners to
>  meet those needs.  Those tasks would be performed by a
>  largely IETF-selected body called the IAOC and a new employee
>  called the IAD.
>
>  The way I think about this is that the IETF would choose a
>  group (the IAOC) to do the work that you are saying that we
>  need to do --

ISOC won't be making any operational decisions?  They will not
control the purse strings?  They will not make any hire/fire
decisions?  The IAOC will live inside ISOC, but ISOC will not
have any actual power over the activities?

Is that how everyone else is understanding this?

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking