Re: Copying conditions

sob@xxxxxxxxxxx (scott bradner) writes:

> the text you quoted says
>> derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain
>> it or assist in its implmentation may be prepared, copied,
>
> note that it is restricted to "derivative works that comment on or
> otherwise explain it or assist in its implmentation"  it is not open
> ended permission to copy or make derivative works

I would call a manual, that include portions of a RFC, a derivative
work that "comment on" and "otherwise explain it".

> RFC 2026 sec 10.3.1 (1) says that the right to produce derivative works
> is granted to the IETF(ISOC) it is not generally granted

Fortunately, the copyright boiler plate in old RFCs are self
contained, and does not reference RFC 2026.

> i.e. the rights under 3667 are the same as under 2026 its just stated
> more clearly

Even if that is true, it would not change that the current copying
conditions are a problem for the free software community, and in my
opinion, consequently the IETF.

Thanks.

PS.  I can add that the Unicode Consortium did open up their copying
conditions, after lobbying from the free software community.  Kudos to
them!