Re: [dnsop] Complaint about inappropriate behavior by Stephane Bortzmeyer

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, John Brown wrote:

> Copyright 2004, John Brown, All rights reserved, redistribution requires
> prior written permission of the Author / Copyright Holder.
>
> Dean,
>
> I would say that per Section 7 that as a member I have actual knowledge
> and thus offer the opinion that your actions on this and other lists
> that I've seen you post to, does not enhance the list, does not add
> value to the process.  Instead your actions are clearly intended to
> disrupt and distract.
>
> If it was up to me, I'd remove your account until such time as you
> learned to play well with others.

You are the one who can't make any other argument except name-calling.

Name-calling does not enhance the list, and does not add value to the
process. Name-calling disrupts and distracts attention from technical
issues.

Indeed, the original anycast discussion in 2002 was disrupted by
name-calling and other attacks on Dr. Bernstein.  Strangely enough, many
of the same people are now attacking me.

It is your actions that are __intended__ to disrupt and distract.
Otherwise, you'd have technical arguments that didn't depend on
personal attacks.

		--Dean

> Copyright 2004, John Brown, All rights reserved, redistribution requires
> prior written permission of the Author / Copyright Holder.
>

> Dean Anderson wrote:
> > The following message by Stephane Bortzmeye includes an inappropriate
> > personal attack in violation of the following sections of the ISOC Code of
> > Conduct:  http://www.isoc.org/members/codeconduct.shtml
> >
> > 7  Only offer or claim to offer opinions or services that lie within the
> >    member's actual knowledge or competence.
> >
> > 8  In the case of financial or material conflict between personal and
> >    professional interests, or between two professional interests, declare
> >    this conflict to all interested parties and if appropriate in public.
> >
> > 9  Respect the generally accepted norms of Internet etiquette for human
> >    communications, especially by avoiding communications that are false or
> >    are likely to be considered as discourteous, objectionable, malicious,
> >    unwanted, or causing unjustified loss of prestige. Avoid fraudulent or
> >    deceptive statements.
> >
> > 11 Treat all users and colleagues fairly and on equal terms.
> >

> > And the message violates the following sections of the IETF Guidelines for
> > Conduct RFC 3184:
> > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3184.txt?number=3184
> >
> > 1. IETF participants extend respect and courtesy to their colleagues
> >       at all times.
> >
> >       IETF participants come from diverse origins and backgrounds and
> >       are equipped with multiple capabilities and ideals.  Regardless of
> >       these individual differences, participants treat their colleagues
> >       with respect as persons--especially when it is difficult to agree
> >       with them.  Seeing from another's point of view is often
> >       revealing, even when it fails to be compelling.
> >       English is the de facto language of the IETF, but it is not the
> >       native language of many IETF participants.  Native English
> >       speakers attempt to speak clearly and a bit slowly and to limit
> >       the use of slang in order to accommodate the needs of all
> >       listeners.
> >
> >    2. IETF participants develop and test ideas impartially, without
> >       finding fault with the colleague proposing the idea.
> >
> >       We dispute ideas by using reasoned argument, rather than through
> >       intimidation or ad hominem attack.  Or, said in a somewhat more
> >       IETF-like way:
> >
> >             "Reduce the heat and increase the light"

617 344 9000