Re: Internet-Draft draft-rsalz-2026bis-00.txt is now available.

John,

IIR, you were IETF Chair at the time of the NEWTRK debacle.  If so,
insights from you about what went wrong there and how it might be
avoided in future broad-scope efforts would probably be very helpful
to the IESG and the broader community.

(I've left the rest of John's message below in case anyone needs more
context.)

Yes, I was the very new IETF and IESG Chair when NEWTRK's output failed
to get past the IESG. For background, I took over from Harald Alvestrand
as Chair (and General Area AD) in March 2005, and the crucial discussion
took place at the IESG retreat meeting in April 2005, where there
was essentially no consensus (not even rough) for the ISD proposal.

The result was this:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/newtrk/j8Si3b0cqnQSX5a5Ee8NIVdyZg4/

The work continued during 2005
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd/history/)
but it remained the case that there was no enthusiasm for any such
change in the IESG, nor even for reducing the number of stages in
the standards track (that came later), or even for an attempt to
clean up the existing process documents.

By the end of 2005 the NEWTRK WG was more or less non-functional,
which I guess was due to the damper of the IESG response. After
NEWTRK was formally closed, I made a couple of attempts to start
non-WG efforts (baptised PESCI and PUFI) but they failed.

Looking back on some of the related email in my personal archive,
I think one of the main problems was that just keeping the
existing process running, from I-D submission to RFC publication,
was so fragile that many ADs were trying to avoid process change
at all costs. At the time, remember, we didn't even have an IETF
Administrative Director (IAD) (until June 2005), we didn't own
our own intellectual property (until the end of 2005), the data
tracker was minimal and supported by pro bono effort, and the
stability of the RFC Editor process was in doubt. There is simply
no comparison with the stability that sound financing and the
advent of the LLC have brought us.

One thing is clear to me, however. If we want to make a success
of clarifying and improving the standards process, we need the
IESG on board from the start.

*In April/May 2005 when the above email was composed, only two
or three IESG members were on the NEWTRK list.*

The ADs need to be part of the process, and hopefully part of
the rough consensus, *before* any resulting documents get near to
being ready for formal IESG review. So I've added a Cc.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter