[Last-Call] Re: [Mops] Intdir telechat review of draft-ietf-mops-treedn-05

Carlos,

Thank you for the thoughtful review.  We have updated the draft based on
your feedback.  Please let us know if the latest revision addresses your
concerns.  A diff can be found here:

https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url1=draft-ietf-mops-treedn-05&url2=draft-ietf-mops-treedn-06&difftype=--html

Further comments inline:

On Sat, 20 Jul 2024, Carlos Pignataro via Datatracker wrote:

| Reviewer: Carlos Pignataro
| Review result: Almost Ready
|
| Hi!
|
| Review of       draft-ietf-mops-treedn
| Type    Telechat Review
| Team    Internet Area Directorate (intdir)
| Reviewer        Carlos Pignataro
|
| This document describes TreeDN, a tree-based CDN architecture designed to
| address  scaling challenges of live streaming to mass audiences. This is
| achieved through Source-Specific Multicast (SSM), including PIM-SSM, and
| tunneling or overlays based on Automatic Multicast Tunneling (AMT).
|
| The overall architecture and document seem clear and largely complete. At times
| it might read a bit marketing-ish (e.g., S3, is this solving for all
| multicast?), though the technical details are comprehensive. This is an
| Informational-targeting document.
|
| >From a document clarity perspective, there's an opportunity to earlier on
| summarize what the architecture is. Interestingly, IDnits flags that there is
| no "Introduction" section. While I do not believe an Introduction is mandatory,
| early text describing TreeDN will help. Specifically, something like:
|    "TreeDN is essentially the synthesis of SSM plus overlay networking
|    technologies like AMT to deliver traffic to receiving hosts on
|    unicast-only networks, or directly natively on-network when there's support
|    for support multicast."

Added a summarization of the solution in sect 1.

| >From an Int-Area perspective, I feel some of the coverage of tunneling +
| multicast is lacking. For example, specifically, generation, treatment,
| defaults, throttling, processing of ICMP Error messages. The document does not
| include the acronym "ICMP", yet I believe it is important particularly for AMT.
|
| Further, combining this Int-Area perspective with some added operational
| aspects, manageability (from defaults to toolset) seem also highly lacking.

Added Sect 9 to mention some operational considerations.