Re: sob@xxxxxxxxxxx is not long for the world

On 8/14/24 18:53, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

I gave a talk at HOPE2024 a few weeks ago on the need for portable Internet addresses. We have portable telephone numbers, why not portable email etc. addresses?

We do, or at least can, have such addresses via DNS name portability.    I have a few such addresses.  The necessary protocol support is all there, or at least mostly there.   It requires that we each have our own DNS names.   We can outsource the actual mail handling to one of a (far too small) number of competent email providers.   The masochistic can try hosting things themselves.

But I'd love to see better tools to help people do this, and perhaps also, some protocol tweaks to help it work better.    It's a major pain to move a domain name from one registrar to another.   It's a fair amount of pain to move one's stored email from one email service provider to another, especially now that many such services are using nonstandard/boutique authentication methods that make it difficult to simply copy those messages using IMAP.

Keith