Re: TLS Everywhere

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 01:25:29PM -0400, Nick Lockheart wrote:

> Users should be educated that these levels indicate the eavesdropping
> protection of the connection, with an easy-for-normal-people-to-
> understand analogy, of a guy in a coffee shop.
>
> ie. "This security level protects you from eavesdropping by another
> customer in the coffee shop, but does not stop the coffee shop owner
> from eavesdropping using the coffee shop's WiFi router".
>
> A new type of authentication should be added to replace any certificate
> use besides "Domain Verification". For example, determining that a
> business exists and is legitimate.

Unfortunately, when it comes to security issues, there has been a lot
of painful experience which has caused many people to conclude that
anything which depends on user education is doomed to fail.

And if some major browser decided to drop all of the current
certificate protections, and allowed arbitrary CA's to join, and
claimed that the solution is that users should be able to click on the
lock icon, and make their own determination whether that CA should be
trustworthy, or peer at some domain name like m0rganstanl3y.cm is a
good place to be typing their social security number and banking
passwords, or pay $$$ to some third party like McAfee, I suspect that
web browser's reputation would be savaged in the press and a lot of
security experts would be telling users to avoid that web browser at
all costs....

						- Ted