Re: TLS Everywhere

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 02:22:01PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> > With that choice, you're likely to run afoul of DNS hostname syntax
> > checks.  While hyphens are allowed in the middle of a DNS hostname,
> > they're not allowed as either the first or last character.
> >
> > So "mm--m" is OK, but just a bare "mm--" will not interoperate well.
>
> I will probably do .mm--, .m--m and .mm--m. But let's face it, the easiest
> for folk would be .mesh.

I feel obligated to strongly recommend against "mm--" as a standalone
label.  It is a reserved *prefix*, that you may be able to dedicate to
the mesh, but it would work poorly if used as a standalone label.

The others are all fine, though of course ".m--m" is not a reserved
name, and you then be better of with the shorter ".m-m".  I have almost
nothing to say on the viability/politics of "squatting" on any of these
potential TLDs.  A reserved ".mm--" prefix is probably the safest bet,
so ".mm--m", ".mm--root", ".mm--0", ..., are all non-candidates to be
new gTLDs, and perhaps safer to squat on that basis.

--
    Viktor.