RE: The impact of sanctions (was Re: TLS Everywhere)

I will argue the IETF is scoped to discuss protocol-based solutions to the problem of multi-factor trust anchorage.

A Relying Party may require more than is available from domain-based or EV certification and need the ability to expose RP requirements and also verify representations of trustworthiness from issuers and holders of credentials proposed to meet those requirements.

Pierce

From: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2024 8:12 AM
To: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Nick Lockheart <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: The impact of sanctions (was Re: TLS Everywhere)

You don't often get email from ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important

EXTERNAL EMAIL

Hi Eduard,

Nick's original assertion was that there was a small number of CAs and that they were exercising either an exclusion of new CAs or that there were websites that could not get certificates from this small set.  It's a much larger set than he posited, and there are ground rules for getting added to that set which have been successfully used by CAs from many different jurisdictions.  The certificates they issue are used all over the world and Let's Encrypt alone provides certs to 450 million websites.  This simply isn't as hard in the general case as he implied.

That a particular set of international sanctions has been recognized by that set of CAs is not a problem at the protocol layer, and changing the protocol layer likely won't change the outcome.  If you switch to DANE, instead of having the CA/browser forum members receive these requests, the DNS registrars or registries will.   Having a specific non-profit in place as an alternative also wouldn't help, because it would be subject to the same set of pressures and it would be a single entity rather than a distributed system.

The IETF list is not scoped to discuss the actual solutions to your problem, so I will stop here.

regards,

Ted Hardie

(as an individual)