From: Nick Lockheart <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2024 01:42
To: ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: TLS Everywhere

On Mon, 2024-08-12 at 17:42 -0400, Andrew Newton (andy) wrote:

> On 8/12/24 15:20, Nick Lockheart wrote:
> > The problem with TLS, however, is that all major browsers will block
> > your website unless you have a certificate signed by one of a small
> > handful of "Chosen Few" Certificate Authorities that are hard-coded
> > into the browser.
>

> Hi Nick,
>
> Does DANE and TLSA solve your problem?
>
> It doesn't appear that the major browsers directly support it, but
> experiments with it date back over 10 years [1] [2].
>
> Browsing the DNS related RFCs [3], I don't see an equivalent to RFC
> 7672
> so maybe that's a contribution the IETF could use.
>
> I hope you find any of this helpful.
>
> -andy

Thank you Andy,

I have read through the linked article about SMTP security.

I think the issue with DANE (for websites) is that it relies on DNSSEC, which unfortunately, turns into a debate over "who gets to own the keys to the entire Internet".

I am certainly interested in brainstorming ways to validate a TLS certificate *without* the need for DNSSEC.

I think this could actually be done with some non-profit organizations, and could provide at least the same level of security as the Domain Validation checks done by organizations like "Let's Encrypt", but without needing a Certificate Authority that can sign on behalf of
*any* site, and without sites needing a signature from a small list of Certificate Authorities.

I could write up more details if people are interested.

I wanted to make sure this was the right place to discuss it first, though.

Thanks,
Nick