[Last-Call] Rtgdir last call review of draft-ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension-18

Reviewer: Zheng Zhang
Review result: Has Issues

Hello,

I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft. The
Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related drafts as
they pass through IETF last call and IESG review, and sometimes on special
request. The purpose of the review is to provide assistance to the Routing ADs.
For more information about the Routing Directorate, please see
https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/rtg/RtgDir

Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it would
be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF Last Call
comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through discussion or by
updating the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-manet-dlep-da-credit-extension-18
Reviewer: Zheng(Sandy) Zhang
Review Date: 06 Aug 2024
IETF LC End Date: n/a
Intended Status: Standards Track

Thanks to Ronald in 't Velt for his shepherd work, which showed the discussion
process of this draft in great detail, and helped us understand the
relationship between this draft and several other drafts.

on some details: Major Issues: 1. Is this extension usable only when both the
router and the modem support it? 2. If you need to use it when both the router
and the modem support it, then in section 3 the "Management Considerations"
must make this clear. And it is necessary to explain the detailed impact on
session establishment. 3. Can this extension be used together with “IEEE 802.1Q
Aware Credit Window” defined in draft-ietf-manet-dlep-ether-credit-extension?
If so, how do we determine the priority?

Detailed Review (provided below with major/minor/nits tagging in IDnits o/p):

65 1.  Introduction
66
67    The Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP) is defined in [RFC8175].
68    This protocol provides the exchange of link related control
69    information between DLEP peers.  DLEP peers are comprised of a modem
70    and a router.  DLEP defines a base set of mechanisms as well as
71    support for possible extensions.  This document defines one such
72    extension.
73
74    The DLEP specification does not include any flow control capability.
75    There are various flow control techniques theoretically possible with
76    DLEP.  This document defines a DLEP extension which provides a
77    DiffServ-based flow control mechanism for traffic sent from a router
78    to a modem.  Flow control is provided using one or more logical
79    "Credit Windows", each of which will typically be supported by an
80    associated virtual or physical queue.  A router will use traffic flow
81    classification information provided by the modem to identify which
82    traffic is associated with each credit window.  Credit windows may be
83    shared or dedicated on a per flow basis.  See
84    [I-D.berger-manet-dlep-ether-credit-extension] for an Ethernet-based
85    version of credit window flow control.

[nits] [I-D.berger-manet-dlep-ether-credit-extension] needs to be replaced by
the adopted working group document.

86
87    This document uses the traffic classification and credit window
88    control mechanisms defined in
89    [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-traffic-classification] and
90    [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control] to provide credit window
91    based flow control based on DLEP destinations and DiffServ [RFC2475]
92    DSCPs (differentiated services codepoints).  The defined mechanism
93    allows for credit windows to be shared across traffic sent to
94    multiple DLEP destinations and DSCPs, or used exclusively for traffic
95    sent to a particular destination and/or DSCP.  The extension also
96    supports the "wildcard" matching of any DSCP.

[minor] The last sentence has no direct relevance to this draft.

97
98    The extension defined in this document is referred to as "DiffServ
99    Aware Credit Window" or, more simply, the "DA Credit" extension.  The
100   reader should be familiar with both the traffic classification and
101   credit window control mechanisms defined in
102   [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-traffic-classification] and
103   [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control].
104
105   This document defines a new DLEP Extension Type Value in Section 2
106   which is used to indicate support for the extension.
107
1081.1.  Key Words
109
110   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
111   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and
112   "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in BCP
113   14 [RFC2119] [RFC8174] when, and only when, they appear in all
114   capitals, as shown here.
115
1162.  Extension Usage and Identification
117
118   The extension defined in this document is composed of the mechanisms
119   and processing defined in
120   [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-traffic-classification] and
121   [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control].  To indicate that the
122   DiffServ Aware Credit Window Extension is to be used, an
123   implementation MUST include the DiffServ Aware Credit Window Type
124   Value in the Extensions Supported Data Item.  The Extensions
125   Supported Data Item is sent and processed according to [RFC8175].
126   Any implementation that indicates use of the DiffServ Aware Credit
127   Window Extension MUST support all Messages, Data Items, the DiffServ
128   Traffic Classification Sub-Data Item, and all related processing
129   defined in [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-traffic-classification] and
130   [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control].
131
132   The DiffServ Aware Credit Window Extension Type Value is TBA1, see
133   Section 5.
134
1353.  Management Considerations
136
137   This section provides several network management guidelines to
138   implementations supporting the DiffServ Aware Credit Window
139   Extension.
140
141   The use of the extension defined in this document SHOULD be
142   configurable on both modems and routers.
143
144   Modems SHOULD support the configuration of DSCP to credit window
145   (queue) mapping.

[major] If the above "SHOULD" need to be replaced with "MUST"? If not, it is
necessary to clarify the processing process when one party does not support it.

146
147   Modems MAY support the configuration of the number of credit windows
148   (queues) to advertise to a router.
149
150   Routers may have limits on the number of queues that they can support
151   and, perhaps, even limits in supported credit window combinations,
152   e.g., if per destination queues can even be supported at all.  When
153   modem-provided credit window information exceeds the capabilities of
154   a router, the router SHOULD use a subset of the provided credit
155   windows.  Alternatively, a router MAY reset the session and indicate
156   that the extension is not supported.  In either case, the mismatch of
157   capabilities SHOULD be reported to the user via normal network
158   management mechanisms, e.g., user interface or error logging.
159
160   In all cases, if credit windows are in use, traffic for which credits
161   are not available MUST NOT be sent to the modem by the router.

[major] The above three paragraphs are completely same with
draft-ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control section 2.4. However, it is not
directly related to this draft. It is recommended to add here the impact of
this extension on the session establishment between the Router and the Modem,
as well as the impact if the configuration changes. And if this extension can
be used together with “IEEE 802.1Q Aware Credit Window” defined in
draft-ietf-manet-dlep-ether-credit-extension, Which one has higher priority?

162
1634.  Security Considerations
164
165   This document defines a DLEP extension that uses DLEP mechanisms and
166   the credit window control and flow mechanisms defined in
167   [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-traffic-classification] and
168   [I-D.ietf-manet-dlep-credit-flow-control].  The defined extension
169   exposes vulnerabilities similar to existing DLEP messages, e.g., an
170   injected message resizes a credit window to a value that results in a
171   denial of service.  The security mechanisms documented in [RFC8175]
172   can be applied equally to the mechanism defined in this document.

[major] If the extension configuration changes affects the session
establishment between the Router and the Modem, the potential security impact
needs to be clarified.

173
1745.  IANA Considerations
175
176   This document requests one assignment by IANA.  All assignments are
177   to registries defined by [RFC8175].
178
1795.1.  Extension Type Value
180
181   This document requests 1 new assignment to the DLEP Extensions
182   Registry named "Extension Type Values" in the range with the
183   "Specification Required" policy.  The requested value is as follows:
184
185
187                  | Code | Description                  |
189                  | TBA1 | DiffServ Aware Credit Window |
191
192                  Table 1: Requested Extension Type Value

[nits] There is only one application, which can be merged into the main section.

[End of Review]