Re: IETF email and IPv6 and related issues

Moin,

To add some data to this discussion...

On Fri, 2024-07-05 at 00:06 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> This is the opposite of reality now.

As of now, for the ~2k unique domains that participated in email-
security-scans.org so far:

- 53.93% of senders support IPv6 mail sending
- 70.03% of senders are able to perform DNS resolution via
  IPv6
- 52.34% of senders have fully IPv6 ready authoritative DNS
  (With this number being significantly influenced down by a large
   portion of reverse DNS zones being not IPv6 ready).

In total, 33.60% of senders are fully IPv6 ready (overlap of those
three categories).

For comparison, 56.16% of domains are setup correctly to receive DMARC
reports (including whether the report can actually be delivered). DKIM
is being used correctly by 59.94%. MTA-STS is used correctly for
outbound emails by 15.95% of senders.

So I would say that IPv6 mail delivery is not overly niche.

> Enabling IPv6 currently makes it HARDER to get reliable email
> delivery. For example, I need to use postfix features to disable
> email delivery over ipv6 to google to avoid getting “spam blocked”
> without recourse to get google to fix their false positives.

(Note: There is a lot of sarcasm, frustration, and general cynicism in
the next paragraphs. In general, I do see your point and tend to agree
with it more than it may seem.)

I would argue that you are drawing the wrong conclusion here. The issue
is _not_ IPv6 (+- some of the v6 issues you tend to have with hosters,
including putting too many hosts into too small prefixes, not
enabling/setting rDNS etc.);

Instead, the problem here is Google's (and not only their; and not only
for IPv6) behavior as a market controlling entity; Which, again--makes
sense--given the scale they are operating at. The necessary cattle
approach just requires making some things the same that are not (for my
whole complaint about all of that I recommend my talk on the topic:
https://ripe85.ripe.net/archives/video/877/ ).

_I_ have no issues delivering mails via IPv6 to Gmail; All you have to
do is having a 10y+ good reputation for the associated v4 addresses,
without _any_ other spam coming from the same netblocks (or having come
there for the past decade), best ensured by not having _anyone else_
there; Of course, the netbloock should be your own as well, so better
get in line with your local RIR; And of course, fcRDNS, SPF, DKIM,
DMARC, [...] You see, extremely simple to do and very certainly only a
matter of competence and absolutely not of 'having made specific
choices by pure chance, like clicking IPv4 PI over a decade ago'.

Ah, and slip up once, your mails 'disappear' again. Maybe for a day.
Maybe for a week. Maybe you never find out. Until you meet someone at a
conference, who asks 'why did you never reply to my email'.

And in that sense... maybe it might be best to support IPv6 for IETF
mailinglist; Well, at least for delivery to @google.com addresses (and
maybe a couple more, including @microsoft.com); Exclusively. That might
actually have some adoption encouraging implications...

With best regards,
Tobias