Re: Messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Jun 2 06:00:01 2024

"My dissertation focused on sexism in the IETF"

"My gender was even more salient than my age. As mentioned, it is hard not to notice the gender gap in the IETF. The IETF’s official statistics show that, on average, only about 10 per cent of its participants identify as women. A gender gap is also evident from participating in the meetings and reflected in the pictures included in this chapter. Being a woman marked me as a minority. My gender exposed me to some of the rough edges of IETF culture that perhaps a male researcher would have been shielded from. My experiences ranged from being mistaken for ‘a partner to an IETF engineer’ to being subjected to unsolicited sexual advances. Being exposed to the sexism in the IETF was not fun but could be informative. In Chapter Six, I use these experiences to articulate the cultural currency of a distinctly white, male, Euro-American approach to engineering in the IETF. As a woman, I also found that many of my women interlocutors were comfortable sharing their experiences of sexism with me. They told me things that they had not brought up when previously interviewed by male researchers, or even with their male peers."

-- Dr Corinne Cath-Speth, Changing Minds and Machines, DPhil thesis, Oxford University, 2021.

https://corinnecath.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/CathCorinne-Thesis-DphilInformationCommunicationSocialSciences.pdf

Lloyd Wood
lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxxxx

given the choice between facing an IETF member or facing a bear, women will choose the bear.

Thanks Corinne,  you're pretty good looking.  Maybe at the next IETF meeting we could have lunch or something?