Re: [Ietf-dkim] Re: WG Action: Formed Mail Maintenance (mailmaint) / Commitment

On 5/20/2024 11:58 AM, Joel Halpern wrote:
You do know that the IDR working group does not release any specification for IETF last call without two running (and usually interoperating) implementations.  And everyone knows going in that will be the bar to get out.

Joel,

1. Perhaps you missed my acknowledgement that it is sometimes reasonable to impose a Proposed requirement for having interoperable implementations.  So that's not the issue here.

2.  Perhaps I didn't read carefully enough, but I do not see the requirement you cite stated in the IDR working group charter.  So it might be operational practice, there, but it does not seem to have made it into the formal requirements, which is an issue with the mailmaint wg charter.

3.  Given the nature of IDR technology, the importance and danger of IDR use, and the history of IDR problems in the operational Internet, the practice of requiring some interoperability testing before Last Call seems frankly modest to me...

All that said, let me stress that unfortunately, your note seems wholly irrelevant to the concerns I've expressed.

Both your note and Pete's suggests a really basic missing the point.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking