Re: [Ietf-dkim] Fwd: WG Action: Formed Mail Maintenance (mailmaint)

The question "Will this damage running code?" seems legitimate, and I
hope the IESG considers it whenever relevant. It's explicit in RFC 2026
that "Usually, neither implementation nor operational experience is
required" for PS, so Dave is correct that this is a higher requirement
than normal. But it conforms to  RFC 2026 because of that "Usually" and
the following paragraph:

~~~
   The IESG may require implementation and/or operational experience
   prior to granting Proposed Standard status to a specification that
   materially affects the core Internet protocols or that specifies
   behavior that may have significant operational impact on the
   Internet.
~~~
The concern I've raised is not whether it is sometimes useful to impose the higher barrier of requiring implementation but why it makes sense to single out this wg and bake the requirement into all its work.

Very, very little of the work of a wg like this is likely to be basic enough to email operation or risky enough to that infrastructure or its users to warrant this burden.  And when it does, impose it then, and with explanation.