[Last-Call] Re: [art] Artart telechat review of draft-ietf-jmap-contacts-09

On Sat, May 18, 2024 at 11:29 AM Tim Bray via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Reviewer: Tim Bray
Review result: Ready with Issues

Thanks for adding the Internationalization Considerations section, which
addresses the concern in my previous review that this issue needed more work.
I have small issues:

1. There is a reference to "control characters" without any citation, and the
definition is not as obvious as one might think. A good reference is [UNICODE]
section 23.1, which may be summarized as "65 code points in the ranges
U+0000-U+001F ("C0 Controls") and U+0080-U+009F (“C1 Controls”), plus U+007F,
"DEL" 2.

RFC 20, section 4.1 (or some update) would do. But, I wonder if that part is right, because of the way JSContact is defined.

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9553.html#name-free-form-text

That can certainly contain CR, LF, TAB, in common cases. But if you get BEL or SUB, that may be a problem.

This section might benefit from a reference to RFC9413, which has a
thorough discussion of dealing with input data that is invalid for some reason.
3. There are 3 options when receiving a message with invalid characters: delete
them, replace them (Unicode provides U+FFFD for this purpose), or reject the
message.
The draft mentions two of these but not the replacement option. Is it
never appropriate in the JMAP context?

I think most people do this, because they add new emoji every year, but I think the operating system takes care of it most of the time.

For example, I am listed as "Rob 🎧" for one person, because they call me with audio problems (it showed up in an email, so I found this out when the iPhone contact list name drifted into email). But you can see this pattern drifting to whatever new ones they add.

thanks,
Rob